The Success Principles Series – Chunk It Down
The eighth topic in the book “The Success Principles” by Jack Canfield is all about chunking it down.
He explains that sometimes our biggest life goals seem so overwhelming. We rarely see them as a series of small, achievable, tasks, but in reality, breaking down a large goal into smaller tasks – and accomplishing them one at a time – is exactly how any big goal gets achieved.
He suggests that after you have decided what you really want and set measurable goals with specific deadlines, the next step is to determine all of the individual action steps you will need to take to accomplish your goal.
He shares that there are several ways to figure out the action steps you will need to take to accomplish any goal
- Consult with people who have already done what you want to do and ask what steps they took
- Purchase a book or manual that outlines the process
- Start from the end and look backward by simply imagining you’re in the future, you’ve already achieved your goal, and you look back to see how you did it
Another suggestion is using mind mapping. This is a simple but powerful process for creating a detailed to-do list for achieving your goal. In order to use the mind mapping process you would follow these steps:
- Center circle – in the center circle, jot down the name of your stated goal
- Outside circle – next, divide the goal into the major categories of tasks you’ll need to accomplish to achieve the greater goal
- Spokes – then, draw spokes radiating outward from each minicircle and label each one. On a separate line connected to the minicircle, write every single step you’ll need to take. Break down each one of the more detailed task spokes with action items to help you create your master to-do list.
As each of the previous topics builds on the next, Jack Canfield explains once you know your
However you choose to break down your goals into smaller chunks, just know that success comes in one small, actionable step at a time.
Source – “The Success Principles”